Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Preparing For A Sojourn Into Hell... or... Taking A Trip To Electra, Texas

Tomorrow, bright and early, I will get up and drag the teenager out of bed. After making sure Daniel is vertical and coherent (those two don't always go hand in hand with him), we are getting in the truck to drive to Electra, Texas to do some yard work and clean up around the house there. Also, give Daniel a chance to work on his truck and do some things he needs to get done as well.

Sounds like fun, right? Well, before you make that assumption let me explain some things about Electra.

The town itself originated as part of the Waggoner ranch. It was actually Waggoner for a time but after a post office was built and a railway station was added, the town was dubbed Beaver Switch. At some point they realized the folly of this name, as there is very little water available, so the town was renamed Electra after one of Mr. Waggoner's daughters.

Today Electra is a small town of about 2,000 give or take a family, and boasts gas stations, a Sonic, a Family Dollar, and a tiny grocery store. The countryside surrounding the town is flat and dry, as is most of north Texas at the moment, and there is not much to see beyond pump jacks, cattle, and lots of mesquite trees.

Mesquite trees themselves are a whole other blogpost themselves, but I digress.

So tomorrow we are going to work outside in 100+ degree heat, weedeat and move some trash around. I'm actually kind of looking forward to it as I've not gotten to really work outside any since I've been here, and I miss it (in a sick kind of twisted sort of way). My patio plants have all died except one due to the heat and Daniel has had more than a few laughs at me trying to keep them alive. I'm looking forward to kind of standing back and seeing a job well done. The grass will be short... still be dead, but at least it will be short.

Once that is done, I'm going to sit under the tree with a drink and watch Daniel cuss and throw tools while he's trying to get the truck running.  I figure it will be good payback for him picking on my poor dead plants.

No comments:

Post a Comment